Welcome to the SJS FORUM !

Welcome to the SJS FORUM !
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SJSFOOTBALL.COM   NEW SJSPREPS.COM  CAL SAFETY  SJS TWITTER  ModBee Forum  SacBee Facebook  NorCal Forum  CalWrestler Forum  
Le Grand plays today in the D-4 State Bowl Game at 4pm..... Del Oro plays Saturday for the D-2 State Championships..... GO Sac Joaquin Section!         SJSfootball.com

Southern Athletic League

Go down 
+4
Doc
COACHMADDEN
QBclub
Hooligan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Hooligan

Hooligan

Southern Athletic League Empty
PostSubject: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptyFri May 29, 2009 3:04 pm

The word from "up the hill" via the Mariposa Gazette is that Mariposa High is, like many schools, in dire financial straits. In their case, Bob Kelley, Head Football Coach, has received a layoff notice and the 2009 football program is in serious jeopardy.

I'm wondering if other SAL schools are fearful of funding cuts to extracurricular programs and athletics that will impact this small school league.

I recently spoke with Waterford principal, Don Davis, and he too is concerned for his school and the league. His comment was, we may be able to fund football and other fall sports with widespread community support, but there may not be anyone to play!

The importance of student activities in rural California towns like Mariposa, cannot be understated. I hope the community can find ways to maintain a level of competition commensurate with the need.

Anyone have any fund raising suggestions for the Grizzles as they struggle to keep their traditions alive?
Back to top Go down
QBclub

QBclub

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptyFri May 29, 2009 3:17 pm

I seen on the chatbox some of our new members are from the Mariposa
area,hopefully they will post on this topic and give us their thoughts
Back to top Go down
Hooligan

Hooligan

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptyFri May 29, 2009 7:10 pm

Doc and Grizband have posted comments on the modbee site.
Back to top Go down
COACHMADDEN

COACHMADDEN

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptyFri May 29, 2009 9:09 pm

Its really too bad this is happening,not only in Mariposa,but all over California.
Back to top Go down
Doc

Doc

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptyFri May 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Hey guys, ole Doc here... talked today with some of my friends up Mariposa way, and their feeling is that the Grizzlies WILL have a team this fall. Grizband told me that some of the players in his class also confirmed that. The problem is two-fold. They are almost 100% sure to lose Coach Kelly, as indicated he is losing his teaching position due to lack of tenure. Also, their district cut non-league transportation for all sports... so they are in a pickle & are scrambling to find alternate modes of funding and transportation.

The coaching situation is a real mess, but may be solveable. They are down to one on campus coach; but their head coach prior to Kelly was a walk-on, and they may have to go that route again. And they also have a former head coach (Vegley) who is a teacher there, but not sure if they can convince him to take the job back. One drawback they have in finding an off-campus coach is that the stipend they pay for the head coach is only $2100.00, and during the fall that's a pitiful amount for the hours they have to put in. As for the transportation, most people feel that they will be able to cover at least the football team by fundraisers & other events... but what will happen with everything else is a mystery.

I've been checking with the other schools, and it's bad all over. A friend of mine at Delhi said that it is probably not likely they can field a team, Waterford gave me the same response Hooligan got, Denair is hurting but probably will field a team; haven't heard anything back from Le Grand, and my contact at TC said that even though they aren't affected by the public school problems, they basically go from year to year, and with the economic downturn still don't know what their status will be until school starts...

So, who knows... we may possibly see some teams that only play league games, but no matter what happens it is a freaking disaster for these kids! Hopefully we can get beyond the scare tactics and work something out!
Back to top Go down
SmallSchoolFootball

SmallSchoolFootball

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptySat May 30, 2009 12:34 pm

Maybe Mariposa can somehow get a donation from Mariposa Alum Logan Mankins the Starting Gurad for the New England Patriots, he would be able to donate a couple bucks for the program.
Back to top Go down
Grizband

Grizband

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptySat May 30, 2009 11:30 pm

I think that this has finally hit home, and a lot of people who didn't have any concerns about the schools are suddenly taking notice. There is a lot of talk up here on what can be done to support not only athletics, but other programs that are in danger. It is, unfortunately, human nature to procrastinate and hope problems can be by someone else. I think it is finally becoming apparent to most people that maybe this time no one will come riding to the rescue. I am becoming more optimistic every day that our community will step up to this challenge. We had a very rough time last summer with the Telegraph Fires that touched most of our community. And in one respect, this is just another disaster that we have to contend with. It doesn't do any good or solve any problems railing against the situation. We have to get out there and make sure that our League Champion Grizzlies play this season. Just as we have to fight every day to ensure the band continues to perform, and the kids have all of the other programs that they need and deserve.
Back to top Go down
SPORTSMAN

SPORTSMAN

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptySun May 31, 2009 1:04 pm

You hit right on the nose Grizband when you wrote" Its human nature to procrastinate and hope problems can be by solved someone else".
The community needs come together and keep these very important programs alive!
Back to top Go down
GAME TIME

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 12:44 pm

Hey grizz
How are things looking up the hill for the program?
I have been away from the forum for awhile. Not much chatter about the southern leaguen going on. Is everyone keeping quite?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southern Athletic League   Southern Athletic League Empty

Back to top Go down

Southern Athletic League
Page 1 of 1