Welcome to the SJS FORUM !

Welcome to the SJS FORUM !
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SJSFOOTBALL.COM   NEW SJSPREPS.COM  CAL SAFETY  SJS TWITTER  ModBee Forum  SacBee Facebook  NorCal Forum  CalWrestler Forum  
Le Grand plays today in the D-4 State Bowl Game at 4pm..... Del Oro plays Saturday for the D-2 State Championships..... GO Sac Joaquin Section!         SJSfootball.com

MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)

Go down 
+3
bulldogmgc
TimHub
COACHMADDEN
7 posters

Best Chance To play in Bowl Game?
CENTRAL CATHOLIC
MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) I_vote_lcap34%MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) I_vote_rcap
 34% [ 11 ]
ST.MARY,S
MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) I_vote_lcap34%MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) I_vote_rcap
 34% [ 11 ]
GRANT
MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) I_vote_lcap31%MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) I_vote_rcap
 31% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
COACHMADDEN

COACHMADDEN

MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) Empty
PostSubject: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 9:38 pm

OK ,who has the best chance to play in a bowl game?
Back to top Go down
TimHub

TimHub

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Grant
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 2:48 am

Pick up the flag on the controversial "chop block" call against GB in the playoff game between GB and Grant, and Grant is sitting on their couch at home watching Bellarmine and DLS play in the CIF Open and DI SB games. But, hats off to Grant ... they represented SJS well in the CIF Open SB championship and became the 1st CIF Open State champion. Different story this year. Granite Bay will avenge last year's loss vs Grant in the semi-final and come out victorious only to lose to St. Mary's in the SJS D2 section championship game. St. Mary's goes on to represent Nor Cal in the CIF DII SBG and this time is victorious.
Back to top Go down
WHS

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyFri Jul 24, 2009 2:55 pm

IMHO, SM was not the best team to send. I believe they got the nod as a private and being connected. At 11-2 they did not have the best record as there were not one but two 13-0 section champs that got by passed.

Would the Gaffney kid have run wild like that against either of these other clubs. IHO, not not at all. both clubs value defense more than offense and the old adage is DEFENSE wins CHAMPIONSHIPS.

In no way am I trying to say SM was not a good team, they are a great program but all offense gets you no where.

Can they play team D this year? I went and watched them vs Del Oro a couple of years ago and the D was not very strong then either. Is that a sign of the program? O power house and little D? Folsom knows about that...Strong on O and gets beat on D!
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 2:02 am

WHS -

It's not just about records. If SM scheduled the Mickey Mouse teams Whitney and Casa Roble schedule each year, they would have been undefeated last year as well. Whitney should reach out and play Lincoln of Stockton (not Lincoln of Lincoln). Casa Roble when had the opportunity to move up in divisions with realignment chose not to. Hmmm, Grant moved up to Div 1 for 2010. Hats off to Grant.

SM's SOS nearly doubles that of Casa Roble and more than tripled that of Whitney. NO WAY do either of those teams stop Gaffney. Teams down South did not stop him. You make it sound like he was some ordinary back and his O-line was just ordinary, as well. The kid does not earn CalHi state player of the YEAR for just one game. Not, saying his performance did not help. But, SM's injuries that occurred in section championship game vs Pleasant Grove to SM's key defensive players, Shannon Clark-DE, Josh Harper - S, and Sean McGowan - LB (arm still in a cast), made it a whole lot easier for Gaffney.

Even with these players down, SM's defense TOTALLY shut down Pleasant Grove the last 3 quarters, and one of the 2 PG TD's was a kickoff return. In fact, there were at least 6 TD's during the season given up by SM on kickoff returns. It was defense that held off Merced and defense that dominated Los Banos in playoffs after given up 38 pts early in the season. Most teams scored late when SM's 2nd and 3rd stringer were in the game. Special teams may be something that does not get as much attention during practice, but SM's special teams sure played well versus Cathedral Catholic in the CIF DII SBG.

The year SM's played Del Oro was the year after SM's 2004 SJS section championship team lost ALL of it's players to graduation. That 2005 team that lost to Del Oro and got spanked by Chowchilla (double wing-T) had maybe 3 senior starters (and 8 seniors overall) and that SM team was not very good (6-7 overall record). This year's SM D loses a couple of stong linemen in Banks and Penitani, but makes up for it with a very deep LB crew, and teams will be lucky to gain 100 yards in the air vs SM's secondary. SM's D will match up with anyone this year with exception to Grant, just too big an O-line and too good a back in Booker (aka. Butler). Yes, SM struggles against the wing-T or double wing-T. In fact, SM was very happy they faced PG and not Nevada Union. It would be different if SM had to defend against such teams during the year. But, it is very difficult for SM to change everything it is working on for it's defense for 1 or 2 games (aka. Bellarmine - double wing-T). Sometimes the question is raised ... "why schedule a double wing-T team on your pre-season schedule?" ... the answer (my guess) to get a look at it early in case you have to see it in the playoffs (i.e. Nevada Union).

Casa Roble and Whitney would each lose to SM by 10 pts or more last year. Neither would even have had a chance versus Lincoln of Stockton, and quite possibly Merced. Both Lincoln and Merced where better than Pleasant Grove.

DEFENSE wins CHAMPIONSHIPS ... but the Champion still has to score to win.

Teams like Whitney, Casa Roble, and Paradise are your back door (undefeated records against sub-par teams) with a different agenda (win league and respective section), trying to outsmart the other schools, waiting for other CIF DII SBG qualified teams like SM, Valley Christian (CCS), and Del Oro (who have cajunas) to lose in their respective section playoffs. Whitney and Casa both know if they moved up to SJS D2, they would have to potentially face any one of the stronger teams, Grant, GB, and SM, and know their chances of winning section would be diminished.

SM did NOT get the nod because they are private. Maybe if Bellarmine got the nod over Grant, you might have a case ... but oh please. SM did NOT get the nod with any kind of connections, either. They got the nod because they played a much stronger SOS and their playoff run was even that much more stronger than Whitney's or Casa's. SM was probably one of the most improved teams from beginning to end, and pretty sure the thought that SM was peaking (when Casa struggled in it's section championship game) by demolishing Los Banos compared to earlier in pre-season, was important as well. I am sure it raised the thought of wondering what the outcome would be if the improved SM team at the end of the season played Bellarmine and Central Catholic again towards the end of the year instead of in the beginning.

Look forward to different outcomes this year for SM vs Bellarmine and SM vs Central Catholic. Look for SM to return to the CIF DII SBG in 2009 (if it gets lucky and does not have to face Grant).
Back to top Go down
WHS

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 12:01 pm

B,

Most upper class teams are not interested in playing a start up D4 program that is unproven. Whitney with it's second senior class did something most schools have never done and that was go 13-0 and became section champs. In building a program one has to take steps to get to the top. FYI Whitney has scrimmaged D1 Sheldon the past several years, went to Jamboree with several SFL teams and this season will jamboree with GRANT and BURBANK. So much for the ducking.

Whitney has played all before them, they cannot control other teams. Would Jesuit or SM want to schedule Whitney? No, there is nothing for them, if they win they were supposed to and if they lose, well, you know.

Whitney was not that good and played inferior teams? Dude they returned 18 of 22 starters and were deep. They hammered all they played and defensively they did it with out one of their best players who went down after game one. He would have been all league and possible Metro.

As for being D4 and not a D2 SFL team. They cannot control that. Enrollment has slowed due to the economy and I think everyone knows that. They are moving up next year to D3 I understand. Do you realize that the school will only be in it's fourth Varsity season (one with no seniors)?

Last season they traveled to Idaho to play what was supposed to be a very good squad (along with Grant and Del Oro). 48-0, how can they know the week before IF loses it's QB? Played D3 Woodland and won and then hammered a weak D1 Valley.

This season brings large school Fernly of Nevada, Woodland again and Oakdale. I suppose that is a weak preseason schedule? It's not full of Stagg, Tokay and Mc Nair. When was the last time LB won league or section? Merced should have lost to DO. They lucked out and DO was in a down year? FYI Whitney see's DO every Wed. night in passing league along with Casa.

The program is being built and is off to a very fast start and I feel caught allot of people off guard. It did not suprise me as I know many of the athletes in South Placer. These are the same kids, same neighborhoods, that Del Oro kids are from. Whitney is just now getting it's feeder program up and running and in it's second season has over 200 kids enrolled. Whitneys coach is doing things right and getting a strong foundation laid. In due time they will be D2 and in the SFL, that my friend you can count on.

SM can't play Wing -T? What kind of nonsense is that? Wasn't Lincoln of STk a Wing -T team? Seems they were a few years ago? Afraid of NU, they will be moving to the SFL, you must be glad you don't have to play there. GB, DO, Rocklin, Roseville, NU, Whitney soon. SM might not make the playoffs in the SFL. By the way Granite Bay is loaded again. Grant isn't your only road block.

At any rate, I was not trying to put SM down, just stating my thoughts on last season. It appears you have an issue with Whitneys fast rise to the top. Seems you feel they won bc they played noone. All I can tell you is they beat Colfax, Bear River, Placer (twice). All league games, all were ranked in the top 20 for Sac region. Best of luck to SM and hope your season goes well.
Back to top Go down
DEFENSE

DEFENSE

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 pm

Hasn't Saint Marys lost the last two years to Cetral Catholic.
I do know that last years D-2 game was the weakest of all. After sitting with the Cardinal Newman Coaches they would have rather played St. Marys than St. Bonnie.
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:18 pm

WHS -

Scrimmages do NOT count. SM's scrimmaged Grant a few years ago, and Grant's size did not intimidate SM, and that was not even SM's best team (6-7 record that year). In fact, SM's played tougher (bigger hits from a sophomore LB, Sam Mafi) and SM's speed out-performed Grant's size. But, very much think Grant was holding back trying new things and focusing on the early development of some of its players (just like SM was doing). When teams scrimmage, there is not a team out there looking at tapes in advance, focusing on a specific team, and preparing for real competition. Scrimmages can be competitive, but they do NOT COUNT. They also use different rules where turnovers and 4th down plays do not penalize the offense. It's a totally different scenario.

Agree, most D1 teams will not entertain a start-up D4 program that is unproven. No win situation for strong D1 team, only potential loss. And why waste time when there are other proven stronger teams out there. For this reason, Whitney just needs to continue to do well and look for more competion. And maybe, just maybe, when it's up there in reputation like Central Catholic (D5 team), it may get a shot at a team like St. Mary's.

No disrespect to Whitney ... they played very well last year (at their level) and potentially could have beaten many of the above average D1 and D2 teams. Last year, it was a fact that SJS D1 was not deep with strong teams, especially their own TCAL league, reason that year SM relied much on pre-season and playoffs. The section championship game kind of proved that point. But, there were 3 excellent teams in the SJS D1 playoffs: SM's, Lincoln, and Merced (a distant 3rd). And that playoff run just proved the South SJS D1 teams last year were stronger than the North SJS D1 teams. Most of the time it is the other way around. And no way does Casa or Whitney beat Lincoln or Merced, but may have a competitive game vs Pleasant Grove. No team can control the strength of their league teams. But, they can control who they play pre-season by proving themselves as someone to be reckoned with to attract the competition. Sure, SM lost to Bellarmine and CC, but again it was their march in the playoffs that counted most. SM's cruising thru "just" their TCAL league is a comparison of Whitney and Casa cruising thru their entire preseasons, leagues, and sections ... NO COMPETITION (weak SOS). If SM scheduled a pre-season like Whitney and Casa, it would be undefeated section champs, as well, but again proving it at a higher level. Don't get me wrong, Whitney coaches deserve much credit with their start-up program and much praise for winning SJS D4 section, and winning SJS D4 section undefeated does place Whitney in the picture for CIF DII SBG consideration, but not cream of the crop. And, unfortunately, they are not in the same league as SM. Much respect for Whitney. My respect for Whitney ranks right up there with Manteca High School.

Sure, SM's attracts talent because of its football program and attracts competition from its overall athletic program. Football is on the floor compared to SM's girl's basketball program on the mantel. But, in no way are they recruited. You may say they are recruited indirectly by the strength of their football program attracting them to attend SM (similar to how DLS is able to attract good talent in its area). But, bottom line, when you look at the scholastic education level in Stockton, it is a no brainer that parents prefer to send their children to SM for the education they will reap to prepare for college vs chancing it with the education programs the public schools have to offer. Not saying kids that attend public high schools do not succeed. But, the percentages are against them. I speak to this personally. Athletics is a nice side benefit, but for success for my kids ... it's in the classroom, not sports.

Sure TCAL was not strong last year, especially with West losing many student atheletes to new high schools going up in Tracy. TCAL is a recently new league with the split of SJAA (due to introduction of new schools, McNair and Caesar Chavez). And with this split, TCAL inherited SM and SJAA kept Lincoln. West will bounce back (maybe not this year). But, SM will prove themselves this year in the SJS D2 playoffs against CIF DI SBG qualified teams like Grant and Granite Bay.

It's too bad SJS section does not structure playoffs to include exclusively CIF DII teams to align with the CIF DII SBG qualifications. I am sure both SM and Whitney would be receptive of such a format. I also feel once their 2 year contract expires with both Los Banos and Bellarmine after this years season, that Coach Franks may be interested in coordinating scheduling games with Casa (or Inderkum) and Whitney for the next 2 years, should each team continue to be successful. In fact, SJS should probably enforce that the reigning champs or leading contenders from prior year that qualify for CIF DII SBG face off the following year in pre-season (at least one game scheduled). This will leave NO DOUBT who from SJS should be considered for the Nor Cal CIF DII SBG bid. Look for SM to schedule future games with Valley Christian or Novato, as well. SM NEVER DUCKS competition. Glad to hear Whitney is moving up to D3. Hopefully, Whitney will see better competition and have better luck scheduling better competition for pre-season. A SOS of single digits just does not even go past a whisper to think they play anyone significant. Sorry, scrimmages against tougher teams just do not count.

BTW, Lincoln last year was a modified wing-T. And, yes, you can say it gave SM's some fits. Years ago, when Coach Franks was the new coach for SM, Lincoln's wing-T gave SM problems all the time. SM would actually lose big. But, the coaching staff has made adjustments to deal with, at least contain, the wing-T offense, and in NO WAY ever fearful of challenging teams using this offense. But, tell me a successful college (or throw out the qualification successful) or NFL team using the wing-T offense. Players like Josh Harper do not want to play for a wing-T offense, where the passing game is practically non-existent. Nor do college aspiring QB's really want to be part of this program. Too bad Rob Post (who has a ton of QB talent) was not properly used at Lincoln (Stockton) nor had the receivers to make Lincoln's departure from the wing-T successful. Look for the new Lincoln coach to bring in a different offense away for the wing-T next year. It is basically used because from an offense standpoint, it is the easiest to deploy to the younger Pop Warner/DYFL leagues (where a kid does not have the arm-strength) and the run game is easiest to coach with the talent available. The wing-T offense is then carried onto to the high school level because many of these coaches at the high school level once coached Pop Warner/DYFL leagues where it was what they were used to and felt the transition from the junior leagues would make things easier.

SFL league is a good one - no doubt. SM is and was never afraid of NU. Instead, SM respects NU's program and has in past scheduled scrimmages against them at the freshman/JV level and the competition has been close, yet admit NU I have heard has come out on top in those scrimmages (again, those were scrimmages). I never said SM was afraid. I stated they were happy they did not have to play NU, out of respect. It just made SM's victory as SJS D1 champs that much easier. If SM could pick up its campus, it students, and its coaches and move to the Sacramento/El Dorado area, I am sure they would welcome the competition the SFL has to offer. Instead, they will continue to schedule pre-season games against competitive teams from the CCS, continue their schedule with such programs as Lincoln, Central Catholic, and Jesuit. And in regards to schedule against Jesuit. That has been a rivalry for years that I do not see going away. Jesuit in fact has been the stronger going years back, and look for them to bounce back (maybe not next year). But, they will bounce back. They have an excellent athletic program (baseball, wresting, water polo, soccer, and football) and if not for DLS, they would be considered the elite athletic program out of Nor Cal. Much respect for Jesuit.

In regards to potential playoff games vs Granite Bay and Grant. I am not saying Granite Bay is not a good team. They are an excellent team and have several good players moving up. I personally have a friend whose son was the QB at the JV level. I very much look forward to a game between SM and GB. I am not saying SM will outright beat GB - no way. I just thinking based on style of play and match-ups, SM has a better chance vs GB than it does vs Grant. I also stated that GB has Grant's number because the two teams have played each other so often. It's similar in a sense of SM playing Lincoln (Stockton) where Lincoln's size on the line is much bigger and they normally are packed with a very good RB and have great speed on defense. SM vs Lincoln games have been similar to Grant vs GB ... each very close and very similar in the team's syle of play for both sets of match-ups.

Top 20 in Sacramento is not saying a lot. Just look what SM did to PG, which went thru the North bracket of Sacramento (or nearby) and what SM did to PG. IMO, after Grant and GB, it's a major drop. Just like for Stockton area, after SM and Lincoln, it's a major drop. And we really do not know what this year is going to be like as it relates to true SOS, until the teams play on the field and results are compiled.

Very much wishing Whitney well this season. I very much commend what the coaches have done for their program and looks to be strong potential for future. Also, hopeful the coaches can get together for SM, Casa Roble, and Whitney, and schedule pre-season games for next year or year after to settle any dispute being raised. Keep in mind, I am certain there are other CIF DII Nor Cal teams like Novato, Valley Christian, and Paradise trying to do the same. I would think it would be great to some how pre-plan and predict who would be in contention and deal with it in pre-season if playoff structure does not suffice. No one likes to deal with any controversial disparity.
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 7:51 pm

DEFENSE -

"Hasn't Saint Marys lost the last two years to Cetral Catholic.
I do know that last years D-2 game was the weakest of all. After sitting with the Cardinal Newman Coaches they would have rather played St. Marys than St. Bonnie."

Nope. St. Mary's beat Central Catholic 2 years ago (at SM's field) in a come from behind victory, one of the best games between the two teams ever played. That year, Central Catholic went on to play in the CIF DIII SBG vs St. Bonnie, and played them well but came out on the short end. And St. Mary's would have been a lock for state bid and state champs if it could have gotten past Napa in the SJS D1 section championship (another thriller). Central Catholic and St. Mary's has each been victorious on their home fields vs each other, with CC having won 2 out of 3. This year is SM's turn to even the series the last 4 years and to take the trophy home (where it belongs) and take the lead in the series that is currently tied 9-9.

I think you meant that Cardinal Newman had hoped they played Cathedral Catholic (not St. Mary's). Or maybe you did mean St. Mary's. I am sure anyone wishes they could have played St. Mary's last year without Josh Harper on the field. Just ask Los Banos, Lincoln, and Merced.

Quite the contrary, the CIF D2 state bowl game was the BEST game every played per the announcers and everyone (else but you) that witnessed it. Yes, it was an offense barn-burner, and sure many will question the defense played in that game. But, when facing such explosive offenses, sometimes the defense as strong as it may be throughout the year, just can't do much. CN got blown out and so did the Nor Cal small team. Hmmm? No defense from CN those games. How could CN's coaches think their defense could have stopped Gaffney or Vaz? Cardinal Newman defense "maybe" could have done better against Cathedral Catholic as they were more healthy than SM's defense, but CN sure did not show it against SB. Anyone who just got spanked in the CIF state championship is going to feel little bitter and wish they had played someone else. St. Bonnie's was a legit state champ the last two years. Even Central Catholic will recognize that having lost to them 2 years ago. St. Bonnaventure even played well last year against D1 So Cal team and CIF Open runner-up, LB Poly, last year but came up short. Wondering if Central Catholic reacted the same when they lost to St. Bonnie's hoping they had played Oceanside??? I doubt it.

Much respect to Central Catholic. St. Mary's very much appreciates the "recent" competion, especially after years ago crushing CC in 1989 32-3 (the last time they played prior to the past 3 years). Cardinal Newman coaches should have not demonstrated any regrets and feel proud they made it that far and instead right away worry about their game with Central Catholic in 2009. With the defeat SM's coaches players showed much pride, knowing they gave it their best with what they had to play with. I'm sure the question entered their minds ... "what if Josh Harper was healthy?" But in no way did they enter the game thinking they still did not have a chance to win or regret they played Cathedral Catholic versus a different team (like hoping Oceanside was selected for So Cal CIFII instead of Cathedral Catholic).
Back to top Go down
WHS

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 10:37 am

Dog,

You missed the entire point about Jamboree with Grant and Burbank. it is an oppurtunity for the kids to see the best. Find out about true speed and hard hitting. it will be a measuring stick of sorts. Never would I think jamboree means you are the best, it will show Whitney where they stand and that is why they are on the schedule. Why would Grant and Burbank want a little start up school to scrimmage with when they could have SM?

Second point: Grant is known for speed and fierce contact not size. The overall team speed and athletic ability of it's athletes is what makes them Grant. Not being big.

The topic of D1 was a large subject last season. It was widely felt the best ball was played in D2 and has been for the last several years.

You use your victory over PG as justification for being great. Dude you beat a start up program with its' 3rd senior class and battled at that. Whitney played PG,McNair,Chavez and the likes all the same season when all the schools were only F/JV. JV went 8-2 and Frosh 10-0.
Your respect for Whitney is displayed in your mickey mouse remarks and continued inuendos ( for their level). Your use of Lincoln and Merced is a weak argument. D1 Merced should have lost to D2 Del Oro last year. DO had them on the ropes. This was one of Merceds most talented groups and the worst year DO has had in memory. Whitney could have run with any team out of the SFL last season with maybe the exception of GB.

You mention the PVL as being weak but yet it hails Bear River, Colfax and a storied Placer program. Top ranked teams for sure and always successfull. Most years these teams would compete with your T-cal teams with half the enrollment.

You don't like Wing-T? that must be some kind of joke pal. it gets used at the HS level because it is very effective. Teams like SM just can't handle it huh? You don't want anything to do with Inderkum, they are very much Wing-T. it has nothing to do with Pop warner. That buddy is an unsult to great coachs like Dave Humpers at NU and Terry Stark at Inderkum. you need some history lessons. Both are disciples of the late Don Brown and Gerry Kundert. you wouldn't know them bc you haven't been on the scene long enough. They ran the Wing at Mira Loma in the early 70's with tremendous success. It was the fore front of it in the Sac Valley. Maybe you should ask Mstark about it. I am sure he would have thoughts of them running Wing bc it is an easy pee wee offense.

Just so you have it right. The SFL is not in El Dorado county. It is located in South Placer county up Hwy 80. The SVL runs hwy 50 thru El Dorado.

Why was GB playing Grant ? Not bc they scheduled them up, they were in the same league. See GB and the G were both playing D1. GB enrollemnt is of D1 level. They moved back to D2 after a big battle of lots of issues besides FB.

GB does not have Grants number or they would be winning those games. Coach Cooper does a great job with GB. it is very disciplined FB vs. the great athletes. GB does not have the athleticism of Grant so they must be sharp at what they do and they do it well.

TOP 20 doesn't mean much. You found out against Napa, I don't care how close it was, you lost and that's all anyone will remember, the winner. It's just a gauge of where teams are during any given season. and yes, winning records count.

Fact is D1 is not the top dogs in town. D2 DO gave them the business two years in a row. it is about program not school size and yes I get it about numbers but that really means squat.

Do I know about SM? I can remember when they weren't a FB school and it was about boys basketball, I think the coach was Gustafson? They were battling Grant for sections along time ago. I went to many of the games. i never mentioned recruitng or did I down play SM. Reread my blog. I stated IMHO, they weren't the best team to go...

Any ways good luck and we will see how it plays out.
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 7:45 am

WHS-

Are you saying only teams of the same caliber scrimmage against eachother? That teams only want to scrimmage against teams of equal strength to see how they match up? Ever cross your mind that sometimes a team or two is invited to provide a confidence booster. Not saying Whitney fits in this category. Not at all. But, I have been to the jamborees and there is always a mixture. Look ... scrimmages do not COUNT ... PERIOD. Agree, it is an opportunity for players to see how they measure up. But, it's main goal is for the coaches to see how their "own" players measure up so they can seal the deal as to what is working and what needs work, an opportunity to try out new plays, and time to make last minute adjustments before the season kicks off. They are not out there to WIN. They are out there to fine tune what they have to work with. It's a workout session, not a game. More than likely, coaches will schedule teams that will help give them different looks to best get ready for the season. I'm not saying there is not some kind of competition. But, that competition is more focused internally for players to have the opportunity to prove to their coaches that they should be playing. A lot of times scrimmages are set up locally for convenience. But, I can tell you that since Coach Franks has been on board, he does have the team travel north more so than south for scrimmages. Let's just say that SM does a good job about mixing it up year after year. They were there at the jamboree in 2005 with Grant, when the team from Vacaville had a great showing.

Not saying that Grant does not have athletic ability. But, don't deny they have not had size the last 4 or 5 years. In fact, this year their avg OL measures at 6'2.5" and weighs 277lbs ... average (not biggest as the case for many teams, but average). Moala (just a sophomore) is 6'-3" and 305lbs. That's not BIG??? Four years ago, just juniors, Christian Tupou 6'-2" 260 and Devan Cunningham 6'6" 305 (with a beard and all) were studs. Their senior year (2006), 6'-4" 285 and 6'-6" 320, respectively. Tupou at USC and Cunningham at Fresno St. Still not BIG?

"Most" (not all) of D1 last year were not very good. I already agreed to that. but you missed my point when I stated D1 did have a few very good teams in Lincoln and Merced and as I stated, Merced a "distant" third. What did Merced do to the reigning D1 champs, Napa? Guess an off year for Napa, too. Sure, every once in a while a team is going to have an off year, or better stated ... a rebuilding year. There is no guarantee the school is going to be blessed with talent year in and year out. But, with a good program, the team will still be better than average. SM has had off years, but they have had some good years with some good talent the last couple of years and expect to be good even next year. The year after that may be a rebuilding year. But, coach Franks has done an excellent job and only recently did SM have a feeder program. So there is even more hope they will get better. Was last year's team SM's best, talent-wise no way ... still young. But, they were good. They were very good. And they proved they were good when folks like you "probably" thought they were going to get blown out by Cathedral (and that was without their best or at least 2nd best player on the sideline ... I say best because Harper had impact on defense as well as offense and that was missed).

You call the game again PG a battle ... not even close. SM played 3 QTRs without Harper and still shut them out all 3 QTRs. The 2 plays PG scored on were broken plays on defense (long runs). Throughout that game, PG could not move the ball against SM and question even how many times they crossed the 50. It wasn't even close. Sure PG was a recent start-up program, but they still went thru the D1 North with ease. Again, normally the North D1 is good. But, because the D1 North was not so good last year, you have to claim it across the board. That is WRONG! Give SM credit. They played the tougher SOS (not single digits) and came out on top. I will agree most of North D2 was better than North D1 last year (not just Grant and Granite Bay). I also believe Casa Roble and Whitney had good programs last year, too. But, still feel strongly they would not beat SM (even without Josh Harper).

Not putting Wing-T down ... It's GREAT for high school. It really is. Just tell me a top 20 college team in the country that uses the Wing-T. How about the NFL? Just curious.

You are right the D1 is not the top dogs ... in Sacramento, El Dorado, Placer, Napa, and what ever northern town out there. Not last year. And probably not this year. But, I do think Nevada Union will do VERY WELL this year. But, St. Mary's and Lincoln were two very good teams last year (from the South). And they will both be good this year, as well.

In regards to school size and #'s ... it's like this ... the more students you have in your school, the bigger pot to pick from to find good student atheletes. Agree, the school has to have a good program to make it all work. But, with the #'s, there is more POTENTIAL. And not just athletic program, but academic program. If you do not have a good academic program, there are strong chances these students who are gifted atheletes never get to show their stuff if they can not qualify academically. We should not lose focus on our academics. As much as I enjoy high school and college football, I appreciate a GOOD education even more. There is opportunity for many of these student atheletes to utilize their gifts to get a good education. Not everyone is meant to go PRO. And even the PRO's need an education to land on post retirement or injury. The key is to find a good balance. Good program + good athletes = strong chance of winning.

Exception will be there with the private schools, because where they do not need the #'s, they are already getting, for the most part, quality kids. I am not saying public schools do not have quality kids. They very much do and sometimes even better (smarter and more athletic and just down to earth better). It's just that with the numbers, there is more of a spread of wealth in public schools. In private schools there may not be more, but there is more concentration. This is why programs like DLS, Jesuit, Central Catholic, St. Mary's, and other private schools excel at sports ... because they have the concentration, the discipline and the focus. I don't think anyone would ever question the discipline that DLS's football program has. Just ask the young Montana who left there to play down south for Oak's Christian.

When you speak of SM basketball, I heard SM has some good boys programs early on. But, right now and for the past 10 years, it has been the girl's program. Just come visit Morelli Gym and see the state championship banners and the many straight years of league and section championships. Just watch them practice. Coach Gonzalves is a drill seargent to put it mildly. Mr. Gustorf (who once coached SM boys basketball ... years ago) is still teaching at SM along with his wife. He has since retired in his old age from the coaching ranks, but very much respected at the school.

Going back ... in regards to moving up in division in regards to 2010 realignment, I stand corrected. Both Casa Roble and Whitney are moving up ... GREAT TO HEAR! Casa will be in D2 in the CVC league. Nevada Union is actually moving down to D2 (SFL with GB and Del Oro). Whitney will be in D3 (CAL). Strong chance SM may see Casa in the playoffs in 2010, afterall. Too bad they did not get to play in 2008. But, like in 2007 when Foothill (Palo Cedro) thought they should have went instead of Novato. I hear they will be playing each other this year on Saturday, 9/5/09. See there is hope! Would love to see a match up of SM vs Whitney and/or Casa Roble in the near future. I'm sure Novato and Valley Christian (CCS) would like to play SM, as well.

I realize it is your humble opinion. And you are entitled to your opinion. Likewise, it is my opinion (maybe not so humble), St. Mary's was the BEST team to play in the CIF D2 SBG. Your opinion is tied to undefeated records. My opinion is tied to SOS. SOS won and will continue to win.

I think an interesting match-up will be Inderkum facing Nevada Union on 9/11/09. SM plays Jesuit on 9/12/09 ... may have to check out the NU vs Inderkum game. Same night, Lincoln is playing Pleasant Grove at Sheldon HS. May have to flip a coin. Love strong match-ups! Don't you?
Back to top Go down
mistark

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 am

Bulldog,

We don't play Nevada Union, we do scrimage them in camp every year but besides that we don't meet.
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:17 pm

mistark,

Appreciate the update. Not sure where I got this info, just scanned the web, and came up empty. Actually, found out that NU has Ponderosa for 9/11/09. Who does Inderkum have scheduled for 9/11/09?
Back to top Go down
mistark

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 10:58 pm

fernley from nev. the same team that whitney opens with.
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Cool! ... a common opponent for Inderkum and Whitney. This will help as a tie-breaker (for SJS nomination) should both Whitney and Inderkum be qualified for CIF DII SBG bid (and SM not win SJS D2 sections in 2009 ... will be VERY difficult, but if occurs SM will most likely be the favorite coming out of the SJS). Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
mistark

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 12:05 am

Common opponents are not always a great way to determine. last year we both played Woodland, Whitney won 12-22 and we beat them 14-30 and held them to under 75 yards on offense. Sac bee and calpreps voted them ahead of us.

Who knows who was better but a common opponent dos'nt always tell the story.
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 am

mistark,

True ... sometimes some teams are more adapt to handle specific team's offense/defense than others and vice versa, but head-to-head would be the "best" solution. However, aside of head-to-head opportunities, the section commissioners do use common opponents as a factor. It may not be the best factor, but when not much else is available (i.e. head-to-head), it is a factor that is used. For example, last year the commissioners used DLS's victory (1-0 record) vs Serra against Bellarmine's 1-1 record vs Serra. Another thing to consider is when in the schedule did one team play the common opponent versus the other team. Later in the schedule results will tend to outweigh early season results.

One reason, and probably the main reason Whitney was voted over Inderkum, is because Whitney won their section championship and Inderkum came out on the short end. Had Inderkum beat Casa Roble, Inderkum would have been ranked ahead of Whitney ... no arg.

Good luck this season!
Back to top Go down
WHS

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 9:07 am

The common oppenet is not a really good indicator. There many unknowns that roll inTO this realm. I am sure MStark is aware and you bull are not on the Whitney game.

it was a revenge game of sorts. The Whitney coach is an ex Woodland guy. Raised there, starred at QB there, went off to star playing D1 QB in Col and some bowl games and returned home to become the Varsity HC. Woodland was D1 school while he was there and he was named coach of the year for his works while there.

This game was his first against his hometown school and his old staff. the town showed up for the game and it was wrtten about in the Bee a few times.

Was the game that close ,no it wasn't. Whit also was down a top LB, who ended up going down the rest of the season in week 4. He was all league material and possible all metro player. Like you like to claim injuries if this kid made it their defense would have been so stout there wouldn't even been a doubt.

just a little inside on the common oppenent. Fernly will be a different story. Not sure but if they road trip it two weeks in a row, it will not be a good indicator. Fernly is supposed to be fielding a solid squad this season I hear.
Back to top Go down
mistark

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 6:32 pm

WHS,

I agree with you on the Giminez factor but, don't you think that woodland could of had injuries also??? you have to look at both sides. I'm not saying your win was less impresive than ours in any way.

We played Woodland in a monsoon, oh wait that was waterd down field to slow our speed down. All I am saying is that one team may match up better vs one opponent rather than another.

PS, we play fernley on a friday up there.
Back to top Go down
WHS

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyFri Jul 31, 2009 7:03 pm

M,

Gotya on that and I agree. The grass was real tall for us and it was abit damp also. I didn't even think about Woodland having injuries because it was so early in the season.

I can tell you for sure the town of Woodland was there. Probably the most there for the season. Tons of ex players, families and so on.
it actually was pretty neat.

They think allot of Coach Gimenez there. I only mentioned you bc I knew you would know the story and Dog's comparisions of the two.
Back to top Go down
CC_Alum33

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 6:49 pm

Bulldog, you sure are very confident and talk a lot before the season has began.

Let the players do the talking on the field, you're only making SM look worse by your choice words. You speak as though no one can hold the jockstrap of SM. As for the.."Thank you for the "Recent" competition"..? Doesn't CC lead the series in this "recent" competition.. SM with their supposed superior talent and great coaching coupled with their school enrollment disparity (1166 -437) should be rollin' CC.. right?

Give it a rest. Let the players handle it on the field.
Back to top Go down
WHS

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks CC. He needed a pat on the back!
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 2:47 am

My talk in regards to SM going to last year's CIF D2 SBG is merely to defend the selection that all 10 section commissioners made in choosing SOS over undefeated (low SOS) record teams. It's done. It's history. And can not be erased. Sure, SM lost that game ... but they represented SJS well and along with Grant's triumphant victory, have opened the doors for other SJS teams to be considered going forward. Aside, from Grant's performance (and guess who stayed to watch and cheer them on ... the SM team and much of SM's fan base, yes, me, too), SM's performance last year was much better than any other Nor Cal team in that series and arguably in years past ... voted by many (including the announcers) as the best state bowl championship game ever played. I take much pride in that FACT. It's called RAM PRIDE!

My talk about SM's potential this year, is simply that ... "potential". In regards, to "recent" competition, CC_Alum33 ... you must not know your history of the Holy Bowl. SM and CC have only played the last 3 years after a long hiatus. That is defined as "recent" ... check Webster's. Oooh Ahhh ... 2 out of 3. Good for CC. Yes, I confirmed that CC leads 2 out of 3, but I stated "confidently" that will change and even up this year. What do you want me to say ... "oh my, I think SM is going to lose ... OH PLEASE!!!" If you read my other posts, I have all respect for CC's program. But, I am not going to throw SM under the bus. Give me a break. I, in fact, have stated that the CC game will be the toughest for SM this year (tougher than Bellarmine, because Bellarmine lost a lot of key players due to graduation). SM did lose Vaz, Banks, and Penitani, but that is all they lost. With many returning players in key spots, you would have to expect SM to do well this year. I am certain it will be a good game, just as the last 3 "recent" games have been. Hmmm ... have you checked out NorCalPreps??? They are much too kind in ranking SM #2 in Nor Cal behind DLS and ahead of Grant ... MUCH TOO KIND. I, personally, do not agree with that ranking. They don't even have Granite Bay in the top 20. That's wrong! And really, I do not care. This early on rankings don't mean anything. I am confident SM will do their thing on the "field" game to game, and win or lose this season, they will play well, just as I hope CC's plays well. Win or lose, both teams will be depending on the game against eachother to have some say in this years SBG bidding. Both teams, win or lose, will capitalize on the competition to take it into the playoffs where the real competition will be thereafter this game. I for one, appreciate the competition CC has to offer, and do not in any way expect a blow-out from either side.

Guess you did not read my praise for Swartz. Even though Rivals.com has McDade ranked higher as a QB, I voted for Swartz. My vote has not swayed. I have a ton of respect and admiration also for Billy Flamion. That kids is an all-around athlete. And I know CC has even more. And I definitely have much respect for CC's coaching staff, even after the retirement of Coach Glines (one of the best ever). Coach Canepa is doing GREAT to keep CC's program at the top!

In regards to confidence ... I am just putting it out there as it stands and stated everywhere you want to look. I am not stating anything NEW. Just do your research. SM's has one of the BEST receiving corps this year, better than in years past (even when Willie Tuitama had Anthony Crosby, Alex Zanini, and Jonathan Shores). Don't agree? Then respond to the BEST RECEIVER IN SJS posting. SM will have a highly rated QB this season and one in the wings for next year (and I will personally vouch that if there is any concern ... that it will be with the QB because the expectations are not set to HIGH ... not by me (oh please), but by the media). They have a talented stronger/faster backfield than last year, and their OL will perform very well as a "line" just as last year. I do have questions on SM's DL, but feel confident that this year's very deep/quick LB crew will fill the gaps and the secondary, anchored by Harper will do just fine. I am also confident that Coach Tipton along with the other coaches recognize where their weaknesses on the DL are and are doing what they need to get them ready to be competitive this year. If you look back at the defense SM had early in the season against Los Banos and what changes took place for the playoffs, you can expect that this is a focus for the SM coaching staff before the season kicks off.

Call it over-confidence, call it cocky, call it what ever you want. I really do not care what you think. I call it RAM PRIDE! Once again, look forward to the SM vs CC game on SM's home field. It will be a good one. With much sincerity, good luck this season to CC.

P.S. if we were all to stop and give it a rest, then why bother logging on to this forum. I thought that this forum, just like any other forum, is to present your opinion, state your facts, and talk it up. If and when SM's loses, I will have no shame. Because if they lose, it will be to a better team, and I have no problem with that. I hope the feeling is mutual. Again, good luck!
Back to top Go down
bulldogmgc

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 11:01 am

SM vs CC game just became more interesting as both SM and CC this year are grouped, based on NEW enrollment criteria, to compete for CIF D3 SBG along with VC out of San Jose.

2009 CIF SBG Division Breakdown

Each will still need to win their respective section championship. Good luck CC!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)   MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME) Empty

Back to top Go down

MADDEN POLL(BEST CHANCE TO PLAY IN BOWL GAME)
Page 1 of 1